Coming soon to The Compleat Angler…we’ll be testing five popular Maggot Flavourings on a single silverfish venue (it could be a river, canal or lake but not a fishmongers) and our definitive conclusions will likely shape the Bait Additive industry for many years to come.
The Five Contenders Will Be:
ONE OF THESE BAIT-TECH FLAVOURS (NOT SURE WHICH ONE YET)
“CARPE CONCEPT” CRAB AND KRILL BOOSTER JUICE
Now, a few points need to be made here:
- I will use powdered Turmeric because if I drop a whole Turmeric root into a tub of maggots there will be unnecessary loss of life.
- The Krill and Crab oil seems like it will smell disgusting and so I will probably need to buy some brandy from Aldi so that when I get home I can carefully wash my hands with soap and water and have a glass of the brandy afterwards. I’ll be using a small individual lidded container for each set of maggots. This is important because differently flavoured maggots can get into some terrible spats and we don’t want the stress of having to break up a thousand-maggot fight just because they were not kept apart. I’ll even be using a separate pair of disposable Rubber Gloves for each flavouring used. A waste of rubber gloves, you say? Perhaps. Maybe I could offer to donate them to my local doctor’s surgery when the testing is over. Would that make you happy?
- I shall probably bring custard because cinnamon is good on custard.
- The “Hemp Additive” has me a little puzzled. Should I use that to make a Brownie style cake and then drop the maggots into that? Will I get arrested by the police if I take such baked goods to the river or lake? Will the instructions on the bottle make it clear how it should be used? You know, oven temperature, time to cook the brownie, that sort of thing.
- Additives will be graded on their fishing-catching capabilities. I’ve never used dedicated maggot flavourings so it’ll be a first for me. I am looking forward to (a) a great fishing session and (b) a couple of nights sleeping on the couch until my wife decides the smell has gone away. Report to follow in a few days!